Thursday 1 July 2010

Still here !!

Seeing as this is a quilting blog and a slipped disc and quilting are not good friends you will see why I have been so quiet. I have been doing some hand work - bit of hexie stitching and a bit of knitting and crochet but nothing really to show.. The pain in my back is improving slightly - I am on new tablets and they seem to be helping. The trick is to strike a balance - rest too much and my back seizes up - move about too much and I'm sore - lol ! Sorry I have not replied to all your good wishes but sitting on a computer chair has been a no-no !

Anyway enough moaning - I have managed to finish my little quilt for Kates swap but I won't show it quite yet. I can say it came out nice and my DD Jess has asked me to make her one too as she loves it. She wants to put it on her wall. Seeing as she usually calls me sad for hanging little quilts this is quite a breakthrough - lol !


I decided to work on a UFO as it mainly involved unpicking as opposed to sewing. I made this over 3 years ago - I think it is one of the first things I showed on my blog.


I was enjoying working on it until I added those black thin borders and then I stalled completely. I just couldn't decide what to do with it next. I think the black killed it although it seemed like a good idea at the time. I have pulled it out loads of times and pondered over it and then put it away again. The little log cabin blocks are 4 inches finished. This picture actually makes it look better than it was - in real life the black is much more overpowering.

So I got busy with my seam ripper and replaced the back strips with a nice yellow. While I was at it I took off a row of blocks top and bottom as it seemed a bit of a funny shape. I had never been able to find anything I liked for an outer border but a fabric I recently bought very cheaply seemed to fit the bill. Here it is




I like it much better. I am not up to basting it yet - don't think my back can take it but I'm pleased with it now. I may take it to my sewing group next week and bribe some-one to pin baste it for me :-)

I did some cutting out today so I'm ready to sew when I'm able. I couldn't resist chancing a bit of machine sewing. Heres a picture for you Dawn.





We are both making the same quilt verrrrry slowly. This is my second block - 23 to go.


I have done quite a bit of fabric buying lately so I am now trying to ease off a bit. Lets see how that goes.....

Will try and not leave it so long next time xxx




26 comments:

Gail said...

I like the changes you've made on your little quilt, what a difference! Hope your meds continue to help and that you are back to sewing soon.

julieQ said...

I love your log cabin!! wonderful....hey, I want to make those little green and pink flying geese blocks too! I actually have the pattern...and no time right now, but it is on the list! Yours is wonderful!

Winona said...

Andrea, I am so sorry about your back problems. I hope you heal quickly. I love the changes on your log cabin quilt. It is really cute. Winona

Roseanne said...

Your quilt looks a lot better with the lighter colour. I hope your back gets better soon. I had a bad back three month ago and I could not do any think so I now how you fill.

tich said...

Sorry to hear your back has been bad again. Love the yellow in the log cabin quilt. It is amazing how different colours can change a quilt.

loulee said...

It's good to know you are still able to putter away and do a little. Your log cabins look lovely in their new sash and borders.

Gina said...

I love how the log cabin quilt looks now. I'm normally a fan of black but the pastels look so much better.
Glad you are starting to feel a bit better. Keep taking care of yourself though.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

A Time for Stitching said...

Good to hear from you again but sorry that your back is still causing you pain. The quilt is much better without the black, the log cabins look more subtle now.
Teresa x

Gene Black said...

Take care of yourself and get better. Thinking of you as I KNOW how an aching back can stop you in your tracks.

Elsie Montgomery said...

Nice design decisions on your log cabin. Hugs for a quick recovery too!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to see you have been feeling a bit better. I have missed my 'visits' with you. keep on improving. You are in my thoughts.

Gamawinkie Renea said...

I have been missing you! Hope your back gets better. And, the log cabin blocks are wonderful...

Jindi's Cottage said...

Sorry to hear your back is giving you so much trouble...liked your log cabin quilt with the black until the photos with your "improvements"...lovely, what a difference a colour change makes.

Lynda said...

WOW! What a difference the border makes! You're right that the blcak overpowered the quilt, whereas the yellow allows the log cabin blocks to be centre stage. Fabulous!

Anonymous said...

How much you've managed to accomplish, and it all looks good! Hope progress continues with your back.

Teresa said...

Hope you are feeling much better. I love your log cabin quilt and agree the lighter border looks better.

sewkalico said...

Well done on having the patience to unpick and re-do. I probably would have just stuck with it as I just hate reverse sewing, but I bet you're glad you did it! looks good!
Get well soon!!!

Vicki W said...

I love what you did with the log cabin! I hope you are back to full speed soon.

Chocolate Cat said...

Hope your back is still improving, slowly is better than not at all. Love the 'new' quilt, hard to believe it it the same . Good luck bribing someone to baste it for you, I find chocolate helps!!!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh man! I LOVE this block! But I feel terrible about your back! Well you are one block up on me now!!!! Even with a bad back! :)

I love that log cabin quilt too!

Meggie said...

I do hope your back improves. As a fellow back pain sufferer, I know how miserable it can make you feel.
Love that Log Cabin!
Your new block is very appealing.

Barbara said...

Hi,
Just wanted to say that I stumbled upon you blog this evening and you quilt work is great and especially with a very painful back! I hope you are feeling better really soon.
I have been fascinated by Welsh Quilts for a while now so your site is really helpful.
It just so happens that my 16 year old rugby playing son has been helping to entertain two visiting welsh rugby school teams for the weekend. He has had the best time meeting them and has learned a lot about Wales. Great kids!
Very best wishes,
Barbara ~ Canada

Deb A said...

So sorry to hear of your back pains. Hope you are feeling better soon. Very pretty log cabin quilt.

*karendianne. said...

You're so cute with the fabric purchasing lately. hee! I understand. I love the block you made. The log cabin... gosh that worked out great, didn't it? I'm so thrilled for you, Andrea. I cracked up reading how DD calls you sad for hanging little quilts. Most people think it's wasteful of me to make them since they wont be of any use or value when I'm dead and gone. That's so sorry so badddd but we all giggle since I wont be around to care.

Dern I just didn't realize the back was in such a state. I'm doubly honored you took some time to visit me. No need to reply friend. You take care of you and I'm going to continue to be a little cosmically blown away re: how I was thinking of you at a time when you were close to popping in. Warmly and sending healing, *karendianne.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sharon said...

Hello! I'm new to your blog. Just found it today while searching about quilting. I've only dabbled in it a little and have read so much on it and now it's time I jump in.

I'm sorry to hear of your back problems. I can sympathize. I had my lower back fused two years ago. Less problems with it, but still have episodes like today. I want to be doing something, but my back says NO. Hope you are feeling better very soon!