Wednesday 3 February 2010

Slowly . . .

. . . . but surely I can feel myself coming out of my quilting slump.. I know I'm not the only one like this just now. Must be something to do with January but now it's February I'm feeling the need to cut up some fabric - lol !

Anyway I haven't been completely idle on the stitching front. I've been doing some cross stitch. Now I'm no expert - I have only done a few pieces but I have been really enjoying this. I saw a pattern to buy online and ordered it from http://www.the-chart-shop.com/ . When I printed it off I set about ordering supplies - aida and threads. These duly arrived and I was realised I had made a little boo-boo. Man - those holes are close together on this VERY dark fabric - lol !! ( The fabric is much darker than the photo ) I decided to have a bash anyway and so far it's turning out well. Here's what I have to show so far after many hours of stitching


It's called Midnight Moggies and is a great design. I really want to finish it before I start this



I do not want cross stitch UFO's as well as quilting ones - lol !

And like I said I really wanted to get back into quilting so have been flicking through some magazines for inspiration. Before I knew it I was picking out fabrics from my stash



and made a little start on something. Keep tuned . . . .
Have a good day xxx

20 comments:

Teresa said...

Oh Wow Andrea!
Those cross stitch patterns are lovely - I think I could be a convert!
Look forward to your finished quilt project

Gene Black said...

Back when my eyes were younger I did cross stitch. I did one of an Asian lady on RED aida cloth. YIKES that was a mistake. I was really glad to finish it and I never did anymore on red aida. However, it did turn out quite lovely.

Gail said...

I have many more UFO's of the cross stitch variety! The two worst: one on BLACK and one I did backwards(don't ask.) The new quilt project looks interesting, can't wait to see more.

claudia said...

I love that first cross stitch project you have going there.
The new quilt start looks interesting. I really like the colors!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

That first Cross stitch looks like Laurel Burch...

Glad to hear you are getting back to chopping up fabric...what you have started looks very promising!

A Time for Stitching said...

I love the look of that quilt sampler cross stitch but would definitely finish the other one first if I were you! I left a complicated cross stich partly finished a couple of years ago and don't know if I could ever get back 'into' it again.
The new quilt project looks interesting - and complicated. Looking forward to see the result! Teresa x

Carolyn said...

I love the compass points, can't wait to see them finished!

BilboWaggins said...

The sampler is beautiful, I could be very tempted but I know how bad I am at finishing things too.

Here's a tip for dark fabric - lay a piece of white cotton fabric on your lap - the contrast as you look down onto your Aida makes a difference (and obviously work in good light - if you are right-handed, have the light coming over your left shoulder so you do not cast a shadow over your working hand)

Doodlebug Gail said...

What lovely cross stitch patterns - I'd never do a Dear Jane with fabric so the cross stitch one would be a great alternative. Love the start of your new project, are you paper piecing it?

country mouse said...

Lovely cross stitch projects. I haven't done any cross stitch in a while, but I do so love it. Beautiful compass points, can't wait to see what they will turn into! :)

heather said...

I love the cat cross stitch. I don't think I've ever finished a cross stitch project.
New york beauty is one of my favorite patterns too.

Linda in Calif. said...

love your kitty cross stitch. Cross stitching can be so relaxing! (Just not for me anymore. I gave it up for quilting. :) LOL!!)

Linda in Calif.

sewkalico said...

What lovely WIP's you have!!

WendyCarole said...

love the colours on your cross stitch and the other chart.

I gave up with some black aida I had years ago

Unknown said...

Your new quilt project looks good.

Meggie said...

I have no longer got the patience for x stitch. LOL.
Love the new project's sneak peek!

Floss said...

I have done a couple of x-stich, but I do have them as UFO too. Love the one you are working on. Glad to hear that you are coming out of you slum.

Teresa said...

OH, I love whatever it is you have started.

Susie said...

Where did you get the DJ cross stitch? I've been hunting since I saw this post and have had little luck. I've found a couple shops but none of them have all of the different Jane patterns that Linda Myers has. Suggestions?

Jeanne said...

That Mariners Compass looks pretty perfect to me! I've been working on that cross stitch off and on for years. (mostly off) Let's get it done this year. ♥