Sunday 16 November 2008

Doing my bit . .


. . to help the global economy - lol ! What's a girl to do when she has birthday money burning a whole in her pocket and the worlds in financial crisis ? Spend it of course - here's a few goodies


Helping out Amazon in case they run into difficulties.



Spreading it internationally. Order from Thousands of Bolts.




A few plains from my lovely fabric seller who comes to our local quilt group once a month. I would miss her if she had to give this up through the recession - lol ! Not much chance of that.





A few bits from a local shop or two.




So there you go - I can sleep easier at night knowing I've helped out all these people :-) Who am I kidding ?


Anyway do you remember these blocks ?




To recap these are for a quilt for my DH Jason to keep him warm through the winter. Well originally I planned to make 35 blocks and set them 5 by 7. BUT after sometime of making these I couldn't bear it. Each block seemed to take forever and I was itching to get them finished. After a quick count I only had 18 blocks. Almost half of what I had decided to do. Not nearly enough. I had a think and wondered how to make these into a decent sized quilt. Maybe I could set them on point or make BIG borders. AHA - what about doing both these things ?


Job done..







This is now a great size - actually bigger than I thought by quite some way - lol ! Will try and get this quilted soon. Just gearing myself up to struggling along with my domestic sewing machine. I can feel my shoulders aching just with the thought of it.....


A couple of non-quilting things to end with. If you have been wondering about the little rescued cat - Tibbles ( Susan and Margeeth have been enquiring amongst others ) here's the latest. A couple of weeks ago we went off to see him at our local rescue center only to be told he wasn't there as we had been led to believe. I was perplexed at this and made further enquiries at the vets we had taken him to. Apparently for whatever reason he had been taken to a centre run by the RSPCA about 50 miles away. I tracked down the phone number ( would have been easier to get the number of the Queen I think ) and gave them a ring. Yes he was there under a new name of Oliver and was doing very well. He is being assessed soon and will be re-homed when he is ready. The very nice lady I spoke to said he will be better going to some-one in a new area as that is something they usually do with stray cats. I asked her would she do me a favour and let us know when he has found a home and she has promised to do so. However I know they are busy so will probably ring soon to find out the latest. We were all a bit gutted that we never got to see him - I so wanted a photo of him but at least he is safe and sound and will make a great Christmas gift for somebody. I am just pleased we managed to get him sorted before the cold night hit us.




One last thing. Here is a cake I made earlier in the week from a cookery magazine. I am always searching for a good recipe for a moist chocolate cake and this one promised just that due to an added secret ingredient. I made it when no-one was in and then asked them to guess what the secret thing was. They all enjoyed the cake - it was rather yummy but they didn't guess that it contained pureed beetroot. Strange but true. I am the only one in my family that likes beetroot and I don't think they will eat it again now they know what's in it - lol ! But I had a laugh watching their faces when I revealed all - ha !

See you soon xx

45 comments:

Sheila said...

That quilt turned out great (but no surprise there!). Very colorful.

Try a Wacky Cake/Krazy Kake on them next.

black bear cabin said...

wow...lots of eye candy! looks like birthday money well spent! those quilt books look like fun...im sure you will enjoy curling up under one of your lovely quilts, a great cup of coffee in hand and your new books! a perfect way to spend the weekend!
and i LOVE what you did with the quilt to make the squares stretch out. what a clever way of avoiding those frustrating blocks :) Im going to remember that one ;)

Ann said...

What a beautiful quilt and a very clever way of making your blocks into a bigger quilt!

Fiona said...

What a super way to use those blocks - you must be really pleased with how it came out.

Ginger said...

Your quilt for DH is fantasic. Chocolate beetroot cake is sooo yummy! I was very skeptical the first time I tried it, but the waiter promised I could have another dessert for free if I didn't enjoy it! You'll have to trick your family into eating it again, or just eat it all yourself!

Gene Black said...

The quilt is lovely! The cake looks delish. And since beets (as we call them, beetroot there) are full of good for you stuff, it is HEALTH FOOD. I need that recipe!

meggie said...

Another great post Andrea. I never cease to be amazed at your beautiful quilts. I just love the one you have made for your DH.
Hope Oliver gets a loving home.x

O, & Happy Birthday!

Unknown said...

That quilt is such a wierd optical illusion - the blocks all look rectangular but are obviously not - I just kept looking at it again and again to check. I do love what you've done with it though - what a cheery quilt - just right to brighten up the forthcoming winter

jovaliquilts said...

So kind of you to help solve the global economic crisis! Good job!

Very nice quilt -- the border is great with the black and white surrounding the brights quarter square triangles.

Unknown said...

The quilt is BEAUTIFUL, it is a great idea to set the blocks on point.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Yummy cake and just love the quilt

sewkalico said...

Could you taste the beetroot?

Great quilt, of course!

Liz said...

Hi Andrea,
Your quilt is stunning. You definitely have an eye for colour. Your quilts are always so beautiful.
Enjoy your books. I have the nickel quilts book it is really great and my friend made the quilt on the front page of the log cabin quilt and it was so effective although I didn't envy all the little pieces she had to piece!!
Great looking choccy cake, I'm drooling. I have a choccy cake recipe that uses pumpkin and it too is very moist. Must be something about the vegies.
Lovely shopping too. Keep us up-to-date with Kitty. I hope he goes to a good home too.
Take care and kind regards from Liz

Libby said...

You have been very generous with your help during these tough times ;-)

Your quilt top looks really great - I think good things often happen when a quilter gets sick of making the block. Not sure why.

If the cake tastes good who cares what's in it!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh Anderea! I LOVE that quilt! And I love, love, love those solids. I missed having time to come visit. You made some wonderful purchases!

Lorraine said...

Good on you Andrea - I am doing the same here in Aus so we should make sure everyone survives!! LOL....love the quilt....! and good news about the cat....! the looks on the faces of the fam would have been priceless...beetroot....I love it too and have seen it used in other things before....cake looks yummy!

Brenda said...

What an enjoyable post to read through. Great job on helping out the recession of the world. Enjoy everything you purchased. I absolutely love the way you arranged the blocks, it is awesome. Your cake looks delicious, but what an odd ingredient, yet they can add the delictible taste that wins awards. Enjoy eating it.

Ali Honey said...

Glad you got some lovely fabrics with your Birthday money. Belated Best Wishes. The plain colours look so good together.

I just adore beetroot, in any form. Do you make beetroot chutney? It is delicious!

The cake looks so yummy!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

That quilt turned out great! Putting blocks on point is a great way to make something bigger and it really showcases those blocks.
Love all the birthday goodies you got...you'll have such fun with all that!

Mary said...

Love, love, LOVE the quilt! Awesome job!

Lynn E said...

Very clever use of setting on your hubby's quilt. It looks great. And I am quite sure the global economy is bound to take an upswing because like you I love picking up new fabric ;-) Please share your recipe of the cake.

quiltygal said...

it's great to go shopping isn't it
any chance you could let me know what the material at the bottom with the birds on is called? its cute

Unknown said...

Andrea, Fabulous post! So nice that you are helping the global economy and you really picked up some nice things. I have to say I love your quilt and the setting that you decided on, it is fantastic. I am so glad to hear the cat is doing well and will hopefully be in a new home soon. The cake looks fantastic and I would eat it, no problem. It is chocolate after all.

Jackie Russell said...

Love the quilt layout and the bright colors.

Pam said...

Good for you to do your part to support the economy - I will continue to do my part as well!!

The quilt turned out great!! I love the black borders - it is a perfect mix of bright colours and a bit of "quiet" fabric. I think it is wonderful - probably better than the original plan.

Good to hear the cat is doing well.

*karendianne. said...

The World Wide Economy is on its way to healing, I know it. Whats to say about the fun quilt except its perhaps... what's a good word... vivacious and has zip to it. There! I got it.

Wow! words Love, *karendianne.

(oh, um, hello - happy day again and great fun buys!)

Floss said...

I think Jason quilt looks great. Love how cherry it is. Also love the fabric you picked up.
You know you could make the cake again and not tell them it’s the same recipe.

Red Geranium Cottage said...

That cake looks yummy. And boy did you ever help the economy. I love the bird fabric. Gotta have me some of that. Great quilt. I love the way you set it to make it bigger.

Rhonda said...

WOW!I love your flying geese quilt. You did a great job. You go girlfriend!

Susan said...

What a great idea! The quilt is smashing.

So glad Tibbits/Oliver is okay and will go to a new home soon. You are a "kitty angel."

Sarah Nopp said...

I have another book title for you to look for, if you are feeling interested in Shiny Things on Quilts... (It is how I recently helped the economy)

Teresa said...

I just love that quilt Andrea!

Could I have the source of the chocolate cake recipe please? I have some beetroot at the moment and I dont like it! Perhaps I could use it up in a cake

Thanks

Teresa

Idaho Quilter said...

Thanks for doing your part for the gobal economy. What a great solution for enlarging 18 blocks to cover 35. I think flying geese blocks are boring to make.

Lynda said...

I have made several quilts from the Nickel Quilts book - it's really good, and well worth the money! I can quite understand you getting fed up with making all those flying geese, but the arrangement of the blocks literally made me gasp! It's fantastic!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Hi! First time here -- I stumbled on your blog while looking for some English to Welsh translations! It is a lovely site -- fantastic quilt there, handsome cats and I absolute love your efforts to help the economy! We are, indeed, like minded. Your cake looks great -- I have heard of putting beetroot in baked goods --- sort of like putting applesauce in like we do sometimes here in the US.

I enjoyed your site and will be visiting again. I am an American of Welsh descent and had been doing some genealogical research when I ran across your site. I will visit often -- thanks for reading my comment!

country mouse said...

I really like that quilt. Great idea to set them on point!! And the colors are just wonderful :cD

Too funny about the cake. It never ceases to amaze me how people will love something one minute, then you tell them about a "secret ingredient" and all of the sudden, its "yuck"! lol I mean really, does it taste any different then when they didn't know what was in it, lol. It still looks yummy to me :cD

Comfort Cove Designs said...

Love your quilts Andrea and that cake looks delicious!

I will be back visiting your blog from time to time! Come visit mine someday!

ooh btw, love your name!!! :)

Quiltingly Yours
Andrea :)

Teresa said...

The quilt looks great. You did good with your contribution to solving the economic crises.

Quilter Kathy said...

Great idea on DH's quilt...does he love it???
Thanks for saving the economy...very selfless of you!
Thanks for the beetroot smile :)
You are so funny!

Dawn said...

Are you enjoying the books by Jennifer Chiaverini? I've just finished reading the whole series (Recipe Book included)- the next one isn't due until April 2009 so I have a long time to wait!! "The Quilters Homecoming" is the one I preferred, I almost shed a little tear at the end.... I didn't enjoy the "Sugarcamp Quilt" much.
I've ordered the pattern books for Elm Creek Quilts too, so that will be my future patchwork project!! I've seen there are Elm Creek Quilt kits available too.
I've almost finished my very first patchwork quilt after finally plucking up courage. It's done with a Debbie Mumm fabric and various scraps of material. Even my 19 year old daughter likes it so it can't be that bad!!

~Bren~ said...

I LOVE hubby's quilt!! What a beautiful setting to display those blocks. Gorgeous!!

Mad about Craft said...

The quilt has worked out as a most excellent compromise!

Helen in the UK said...

Looks like you made some great shopping choices :)

Jocey said...

Hi There! Just scrooled through your blog and seen this post of the fabric you purchased from Thousand of Bolts. Could you let me know the fabric line of the one on the bottom right with the bright coloured birds?
By the way..I will be back because I had added you to my favorites on Aug 20th 2007 so there must have been something that caught my eye.

*karendianne. said...

You know, I had to go get that Nickle Quilts book after you posted this!

Catching up... *karendianne.