Sunday 19 October 2008

Kitty update !

You are all so lovely - I knew you would understand. The latest on Tibbles ( as we used to call him when he visited our garden ) is this -

I phoned the vets on Friday afternoon and he had been operated on and had his eye removed and was doing very well - bless him ! The vet had managed to get him a place in a local animal sanctuary only 2 miles from my home. They do great work here and I know he will be well looked after while he recovers after his surgery.

If we want we could still adopt him and I have talked myself in and out of this no end of times. A couple of things I forgot to mention in my last post were that he has already been neutered so he has belonged to some-one at one point. And the other thing was the injury was not terribly recent so he had been suffering for a while. This tells me he has been neglected by some-one very badly or perhaps his owner has passed away or something. I'm kind of thinking he will be better off away from this area with a new start with new owners that will look after him and love him as he deserves. Not that we wouldn't love him - if anything we love our cats too much and are slaves to them - lol ! But I think after all he has been through he needs a quiet life for a while and I don't think he would get that here with our other cats. Our youngest cat Tizer is the equivalent of a hyper-active toddler and poor Tibbles would never get a moments peace. It is a lot to ask for 4 adult tom cats to all get along together I'm thinking. My other big fear if we take him in is he wanders back to where he came from and we never see him again.

Anyway we plan to visit him later in the week and see how he is. We will take some food and stuff for the centre. I'm sort of thinking that if they don't find somewhere for him soon then maybe we will have a re-think. Not sure that will happen though as he is so cute and friendly people will be falling over themselves to provide for him. If possible I will try and get a photo of him to show you. I think this is for the best. I have shed so many tears over this cat you wouldn't believe. I'm so glad I spotted him out of that window that day and I'm glad we persevered and got him sorted. We could not bear to think of him suffering.

Next post will be back to quilty stuff. I have a little something planned too...

18 comments:

Cathi said...

I am so glad he came through the surgery okay! One of our neighbours had a kitty who had to have an eye removed, and she did amazingly well. I hope he finds a new home that is just right for him -- and by the sounds of him, he will! I'd love to see a picture of him.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for the update. I am so glad to hear that he is doing well. It really is a touching story. It is a good thing that the vet has found a place for him to recuperate. I am sure that he will find a loving home. Please keep us posted and I would love to see a picture if you have one.

Brenda said...

Glad to hear that he is recovering from surgery well. He will be glad of your visit and I hope he does find a good home quickly, I agree with everything you said.

Pam said...

It sounds like things will work out for the best. Tibbles is so lucky that you worked so hard to find him and help him. I bet the shelter would be happy to have some food and things donated - the shelters all do such great work and they really try to make sure the animals go to good homes. I can imagine that 4 Tom cats could be a bit much -LOL You did a great job with Tibbles so far.

Yvonne aka sommeke said...

Thx for the update, it's nice to know Tibbles had a surgery now.
Hoping he gets a nice place to stay quickly!

~Molly~ said...

Bravo!! And bless you for doing this kind deed for Tibbles! I think he'll make someone a fine companion.

At our house we have 100% indoor cats due to losing so many to cars and dogs(or whatever) when I was growing up. We live in the same house as I did back then and the traffic has tripled in volume on our street so there is no way any would survive long here. There are also coyotes living in the woods just 100 yards from our house. Anyway...

We have neighbors who had an old gentleman cat, an outside cat for 16 years. In the last two years of his life we kind of adopted him, my youngest daughter was in love with him.

During his last several months of life he managed to get hit by a car, disappeared for several days and then I found him wandering on our driveway with a head injury. I was bawling so hard when I called my husband to tell him Tom had been found that I could barely make sense. He came home and took him across to the owner's and they had him treated for dehydration and a concussion. After that Tom lived mostly at our house and even stayed inside overnight most of the time in the last few months of his life. He had an attack of some kind(either stroke or heart attack) and was having a hard time breathing. It went on for several weeks and finally got where it seemed to bother him(he seemed ready to go) so we took him over and they had him put down. I was(still am) miserable about it.

You are a saint to have taken Tibbles in and helped him. He knew it, that's why he showed up!

Molly

meggie said...

Tears to my eyes to read about the poor cat. So glad you were able to catch him. I am still grieving over Bailey.

*karendianne. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
*karendianne. said...

A rude thing is when you're trying to be supportive in your comment but you get confused and start off calling the person a "W" name instead of their real "A" name...So ANDREA, I'm starting again. I'm simply glad to read of your solid, sound decision making here and I send you ANDREA hugs.

Trying again to be supportive... Love, *karendianne...

loulee said...

It's good to hear that he is safe and on the mend.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Give yourself a pat on the back! You have done everything that you could do..you helped a suffering cat when others wouldn't have bothered. You've seen him through the surgery and given him a second chance when others my have had him put down...and you are donated goods to the shelter where he is staying. and all the while kept it real..about how your own cats would feel with another cat and for what it would be like for Tibbles in a house with the busyness of 3 cats. I think you've taken all that into consideration and you should be applauded for all your forethought and concern. (((hugs)))

Unknown said...

I would love to see a picture of him. I am glad he is doing well.

Winona said...

Andrea,
I am so happy to hear that Tibbles is doing well. I hope he finds a wonderful home. Thanks for the update.
Winona

Ali Honey said...

Well done. You were both very kind and thoughtful to the poor puss.

You have done your part in giving him every chance to get well again.

Chocolate Cat said...

You are such a special person to care so much about Tibbles. So glad the surgery went well. Hope the decision about rehoming sorts itself out okay. Looking forward to seeing a photo!!

Margeeth said...

You did a really good and brave thing catching that cat while it was frightened, hungry and hurt. I can understans you wanting to keep him (I would want that too) but whatever you decide, it will be a good decision.
You can also consider letting the pet-people find him a new home with the provision that if they cannot within a reasonable time they will let him live with you.

Susan said...

Bless you for being both responsible to your own kitties and compassionate to this poor little cat. We also have a rescue kitty along with our dowager cat; the little rescue kitty was starving, ill and injured, but has brought such joy and laughter to our home in the two years we've had her! I hope Tibbles is adopted by people who will give him the same kind of loving care you showed him.

Ozjane said...

I can understand the cat tears.....I have two black and white ones from next door that inhabit my yard, drink out of my bird bath and climb trees and chase my birds. They have decked allmost all their back yard and have avairies while I have one inside cat. However I have not seen them for 2 days so I am now worried they have been given away. Much as they annoyed me re the birds, I liked seeing them in the yard.......what idiots we are...Miss Moggie was not at all perturbed by them. She knew her place with inside on Mum's lap and bed and even when I took her out in my arms one day to chase them away she was not even trying to get down to them