Tuesday 24 July 2007

Use it and abuse it !




This is what teenagers get up to when they have too much time on their hands. Jess finished school several weeks ago and does not start her new college 'til the middle of Semptember ! So here she is having a little nap outside on one of the sunniest days we have had for a while. The quilt she has covering her is one I made about 3 years ago. She has a pet lizard called Gizmo and we bought the lizard fabric used in the border soon after she got him. I bought piles of the stuff in 2 different colourways.. I am going to make some Project Linus quilts with what I have left I think.


Jess also has a queen size quilt I made but that hasn't seen the light of day for ages. Every time I go into her room ( usually to take some clean clothes ! ) I see it crumpled up at the end of her bed covered in stains.. She is definitely of the "It's ok to sit on your quilt " way of thinking. And you know what I'd much rather she has it screwed up and sat on and such than folded up and pristine ! Our quilt group held an exhibition last year and I rescued the quilts from the pit and washed and dried them and they turned out great - good as new ! When I was taking them to display I had a stern warning from Jess to make sure they were looked after - so I know she appreciates them -they are truly well -loved !!


I made my sister a big quilt 2 years ago for Chtistmas and I had to really nag her to put it on the bed. She was frightened of getting it dirty - just bung it in the wash I said ! What if it wears out then - I will just make you another I said !


Tomorrow our quilt group is running a cake stall at a fund-raiser for the British Quilters Guild and this is my contribution - Banana and fruit cake. I will chop it up soon and pack it up ready to take - after a little taste test - yum !


I am still paper piecing away - it's seriously addictive !

6 comments:

~Bren~ said...

I feel the same way about a quilt. I want it dragged through the dirt! Well loved and worn.

Unknown said...

Yup me too, why have a quilt if it isn't used and loved. Jess obviously has too much time on her hands, lucky girl.....

Yvonne said...

Yes...that's what quilts are made for....to be loved and cuddled under. Nice quilts by the way. Your cake looks delicious.

sewkalico said...

Wish it was me lying under a quilt! Cute quilt and there really is nothing better than knowing somebody loves all the work you put in to making it.

Ps don't eat all the cake!

mereth said...

That's the beauty of patchwork, quilts are sturdy and useable and I think they actually look better after a few washes. Mind you teenage boys can be a little bit rough on things, but I wouldn't give them anything too precious to start with.
I've gone gluten-free over the last year, and while I don't particularly miss eating cakes, I really miss making them. A nice sense of achievement when they turn out nicely like yours, and the smell.....!

Helen in the UK said...

Lovely to see the quilt being used and appreciated :)